Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Bridge of Sighs -- Long Time Crossing

November 17, 2013

Bridge of Sighs -- Long Time Crossing

Venice, Ponte dei Sospiri -- Bridge of Sighs
Why so unforgiving? Why so cold? (ref. Robin Trower)
The moment etched in stone, a pointing finger.
My pulse quickens, blood hammering in my head, time contracts & stills.
Walls of wood, the dock so high, a courtroom old.

The hammer falls,
The whited judge looks down in anger!
Cruel eyes upon my back, bore into my head,
The sentence blandly read, then
No other sound.

I'm walked outside, midst the daylight diffuse.
A view so dim,
Through the cold stone latticework.
Grey walls, grey mood,
A condemned life so cold & grim.

The walk is deliberate and tauntingly slow,
"All eyes ahead!" The orders barked.
Ahh, but who can resist a last delicious glance towards freedom,
Despite a keeper's blows?

No laughter, no love, no light.
There'll be no sun, no moon, no more water to wash me clean.
Time slows, details explode,
In the fading light, the prison walls turn gold.
And it's been a long time crossing, Bridge of Sighs.

Been a long time crossing, Bridge of Sighs.

No comments: